The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is running a Syrian Refugee Information Session at New Directions College.
From covering basic greetings to the potential expectations about life in the UK, Refugee Information Sessions help host communities better understand how to collectively assist refugees to rebuild their lives and encourage participation in the local community.
IOM regularly updates the sessions using information gathered from their global field offices and other relevant sources to reflect the shifting realities for refugees prior to resettlement. IOM partners with members of refugee communities to co-facilitate the sessions and provide insight into their history and culture.
Sessions are CPD-certified and include:
- Modern and ancient history of the country
- Geography, demographics, religions and cultural groups of the refugees’ country
- Cultural traditions (etiquette, clothing, holidays, diet, family)
- Health and education systems in the country
- Displacement and the humanitarian crisis
- Experiences of resettled refugees
- Subjects covered in pre-departure orientation
- Cultural adjustment experience