All organisations, including charities and community groups, have a responsibility to safeguard the personal data of service users, staff, volunteers, contractors and anyone whose personal data they collect or use in the delivery of their services.
This 1 hour online course will cover:
- Data sharing and the law
- What does data sharing mean?
- What is the difference between ‘systematic’, ‘ad hoc’ and ‘one off’ data sharing?
- What factors to consider when deciding to share personal data.
- How can you demonstrate fairness and transparency to individuals when sharing personal data about them?
- What security considerations should you take into account before sharing personal data?
- Data sharing agreements, what are they and when should they be used.
- Respecting individual’s rights
- What to avoid.
This is an accredited course and you will receive a certificate upon completion.
Who should attend?
Anyone who works or volunteers in a charity or community group who shares personal data with others outside of your organisation. For example if you work in partnership with other organisations or receive or make referrals to other organisation. You might be a volunteer, staff member or trustee. This course builds on ‘handling personal data’ training, which covers the basics of data protection, however it is fine to attend this as a stand alone session.
The course is delivered by Kellie Peters from Databasix UK, a company established since 2013 with the motto ‘bringing people and data together’. Prior to setting up Databasix UK, Kellie was the Head of Data Projects at Public Health England. Prior to that role she had spent over 10 years working within NHS in various information governance roles, these roles included delivering data protection and freedom of information training to data managers, clinicians, research directors and data analysts.
RVA has partnered with Databasix to offer a subsidised training offer to those working or volunteering for charities and community groups in Reading. The session is £10. This offer is restricted to groups in Reading. If you do not offer services in Reading, please check with us before booking.