Time: 1pm – 2pm
All organisations, including charities and community groups, have a responsibility to safeguard the personal data of service users, staff, volunteers, contractors and anyone whose personal data they collect or use in the delivery of their services.
What this course will cover
This 1 hour online course will explain the basics of data protection, including:
- Processing personal data for a specific purpose(s)
- Processing only personal data that enables you to make decisions
- Processing personal data for only as long as is necessary
- Ensuring that you are being fair, lawful and transparent with the personal data you are processing
- What needs to be considered when the person whose data you want to collect needs to give their consent
- Understanding and respecting the rights of the person whose data you are collecting
- What operational and technical security measures need to be considered when processing personal data
- Storing data in the cloud vs. local hosted storage.
- How and when to report a personal data breach.
This is an accredited course and you will receive a certificate upon completion.
Who should attend
Anyone who works or volunteers in a charity or community group who processes (i.e. handles) the personal data of others. You might be a volunteer, staff member or trustee.
The course is delivered by Kellie Peters from Databasix UK, a company established since 2013 with the motto ‘bringing people and data together’. Prior to setting up Databasix UK, Kellie was the Head of Data Projects at Public Health England. Prior to that role she had spent over 10 years working within NHS in various information governance roles, these roles included delivering data protection and freedom of information training to data managers, clinicians, research directors and data analysts.
RVA has partnered with Databasix to offer a subsidised training offer to those working or volunteering for charities and community groups in Reading. The session is £10. This offer is restricted to groups in Reading. If you do not offer services in Reading, please check with us before booking.