This is a follow on day from Exploring Autism and is suitable for people who have attended this introductory day. We consolidate and build on the learning from Exploring Autism and deepen our understanding of the impact of autism on individuals and their families. We will consider the ways in which identifying autism can be liberating or limiting, and the benefits and challenges involved in disclosing autism.
- Review of traits of autism
- The impact of myths and stereotypes about autism
- The impact of identifying/diagnosing autism in the family
- Appropriate identification and disclosure of autism
- Communication between autistic and non-autistic people
- Experiential exercises, role play and Q & A