Voluntary and community groups provide much needed services, often to those who are most vulnerable in our communities. Anyone working with Children or vulnerable adults has a duty to ensure that safer recruitment practices are in place for their volunteers and staff. It’s not always easy to understand just what DBS checks are needed (formerly CRB). This course will help you to gain an overview and understand what steps you should take to identify whether and to what level a DBS check is needed for your volunteers and staff.
What will the workshop cover?
This is a practical workshop and you will have the opportunity to apply what you have learnt.
- Why did we see a change from CRB to DBS and why is it important?
- What does ‘regulated activity’ mean and how to work out whether it applies to your volunteer/staff roles.
- The levels of DBS checks that can be requested
- How to complete the DBS form
- What is the update service, the benefits and how to sign up?
- What if the DBS shows your volunteers or staff have a criminal record or unspent convictions?
- Your responsibilities
- Help, support and advice that is available
Who should attend?
This workshop is for anyone who works or volunteers for a voluntary and community group and is responsible for processing DBS checks, or supervises or manages others. It is also useful for Trustees and Managers of charity’s to gain an overview of the DBS system to inform their Safeguarding Procedures.
This course is primarily for Reading-based voluntary and community groups, however if your group operates outside this area feel free to contact us and we can place you on the waiting list; we will then let you know nearer the date if places are still available.
This workshop will be delivered by Herjeet Randhawa, the RVA Advice Worker, who advises charities and voluntary groups on good safeguarding practice and supports them to attain a basic level of good governance.
Please note that the library does not open until 10am. The session will start at 10.15am.
The cost is £10 per person. Online booking is available through the link below.
The session includes handouts and refreshments.
Please book online through the link below.