Core Skills in Befriending for Volunteers is an online training course that provides befrienders with fundamental knowledge and should be used alongside organisation-specific volunteer training. The course is made up of 10 modules:
- Module 1 – What is Befriending?
- Module 2 – Values and Attitudes in Befriending
- Module 3 – Communication Skills
- Module 4 – Building Befriending Relationships
- Module 5 – The Matching Process
- Module 6 – Boundaries and Confidentiality
- Module 7 – Support and Supervision
- Module 8 – Roles and Responsibilities within Befriending
- Module 9 – Managing Endings
- Module 10 – Befrienders as Community Connectors
While Befriending Networks provides the information via the learning platform, coordinators/volunteer managers are responsible for tracking their volunteers’ progress through the course and giving them feedback online or in contact session. Guidance for coordinators about how to access and use the online learning platform be found here.
Some coordinators choose to have volunteers complete specific modules, while others require volunteers to complete all 10 to receive a certificate from Befriending Networks.
Core Skills in Befriending for Volunteers is only available Befriending Networks members and is a free resource. Each month, 10 member organisations may register places for up to 5 volunteers.