Loneliness is a national problem, considered to be at epidemic levels. Reading is no exception, but it needn’t be that way.
Join us for an introductory workshop to find out more about how you can become a Champion to End Loneliness for Reading.
Anyone can be a champion, supporting the cause of ending loneliness through a wide range of ways. As a champion, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn: from the very latest research and examples of good practice
- Campaign: for change and encourage more people to take a role in ending loneliness in Reading
- Connect: with like-minded people to share ideas and identify ways to work through challenges
- Act: Become a befriender or get support to set up an initiative in your community
The great thing about becoming a Champion, is that you can take on a commitment that suits your availability and capacity. Examples of things champions might do could be:
- Become a befriender
- Promote befriending among colleagues, friends and neighbours, put up posters or promote on social media
- Set up a group so people can get to know others in your neighbourhood, place of work or study
- Take an ‘End Loneliness’ pledge to engage more with people who live in your neighbourhood
Simply by being more knowledgeable about the reasons for loneliness and what can be done to reduce the impact of loneliness, you will be helping. Champions will receive monthly emails about what’s going on, events to attend and how they can get involved in ending loneliness in Reading.
The workshop is about enabling and informing you to be able to take action to tackle loneliness in a way that suits you. The workshop will cover:
- Info about loneliness from recent national and Reading-specific research
- Introduction to what some local charities are doing to reduce loneliness
- Discussions: what are you doing / what can you do to help?
- in your community
- in your workplace
- as a volunteer
- Opportunity to sign up to our pledges