This drop-in awareness event is part of The MERL and Reading Museum’s Cultural Commissioning partnership delivering ‘ageing well’ programmes.
As part of Dementia Action Week 2019, The Reading Dementia Action Alliance (of which The MERL is a member) is coordinating the event to raise awareness of dementia and increase knowledge of services and support available in our town. Alongside heritage and culture, we will be showcasing singing groups and physical activities and other services on offer to help people to live well with their dementia and support for their carers, families and loved ones.
The event is open to anyone wishing to learn more about dementia, professionals and individuals living with dementia and their carers.
Throughout the day
- Quiet Zone with dementia friendly helpers
- Companion tour of The MERL (30 mins)
- Reminiscence sessions (book on the day)
- Gardening sessions with The MERL
- Reading Voluntary Action Information hub
10:00 Mayor opens the event
10:15 Young People With Dementia (YPWD) Choir
10:45 Tai Chi – Age UK Berks
11:15 Reminiscence sessions
11:15 Dementia Friends session
12:15 Alzheimer’s Research talk
12:45 Bring your own lunch – picnic in the garden
13:15 Reminiscence sessions
13:15 Dementia Friends session
14:20 Dance for Health – The MERL
15:00 Banyan Care – financial planning talk
- Full details of facilities and resources for visitors with special access needs, are available on MERL’s Accessibility page.
- To discuss any additional access requirements email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0118 378 8660