Tesco Bags of Help is responding to the current coronavirus (Covid-19) crisis by setting up a new short-term fund to support local communities. Due to the need to respond quickly to the emergency they have created a streamlined application process and payment process to make it easier to get funds distributed quickly. Successful organisations will receive a single payment award of £500.
Typically, the fund will prioritise organisations:
- whose need for services has been disrupted – for example a food bank whose stocks are running low and need an immediate donation to enable the food bank to restock.
- required to put in place new services– for example charities setting up a new home service for the elderly who usually attend a monthly lunch club or a charity needing to set up a telephone service to support beneficiaries.
- with increased demand – eg, a holiday hunger club needs more resources due to schools closing, or a children’s centre needs an additional temporary staff member.
Applications are welcome from (not an exhaustive list):
- Women’s refuges
- Food banks
- Homeless charities
- Charities supporting the elderly
- Charities supporting children’s activities
This is a rolling programme, where community groups or charities can apply for funding at any time during the next few months; they expect to be making weekly awards to eligible groups across the UK.