The MSE Charity gives grants to not-for-profit organisations that deliver activities which make a lasting impact on how people think, behave and manage their money. Grants of up to £7,500 are available for registered charities, CICs and other voluntary organisations.
There are two rounds per year, four themes rotate through a two year cycle. Different themes will be more suitable for different not-for-profit organisations.
Who can apply?
They will make grants to organisations (not individuals) which must be either a UK registered charity, community interest company, credit union or a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee or social enterprise company.
Community interest companies and social enterprise organisations must have a governing document which shows the name, aim/purpose, objects of the group, including a dissolution clause (what happens if your group stops operating). This clause should show that you are a not-for-profit group by confirming that any assets remaining after all debts are paid will be given to another voluntary group with similar aims. This document should also include details of your Trustees or management committee.
Statutory organisations are excluded from applying for funding. They do not fund statutory organisations such as schools, but they do support organisations as listed above delivering financial capability projects in a school-based context.
The trustees prefer to fund small to medium-sized non-profit organisations. Your organisation should have an annual income under £500,000 and have less than six months free reserves.
If your organisation is new, without your first year’s of accounts, you are still eligible to apply. Remember to submit your most recent set of management accounts along with your forecast income and expenditure for the next twelve months. Additionally, in your application, please explain your situation so that we know why a full set of accounts is not available.
What are the funding priorities?
Building Development and Resilience
- Projects focused on building financial capability skills for those who need it the most.
- To support people recovering from the results of the pandemic and equip them to move forward.
- Applications accepted between 1st September – 25th September 2020 (round will close when 40 applications accepted, so do get your applications in early).
- Decision meeting 9th November 2020.
Raising the Next Generation
- Projects focused on building financial capability skills for those who need it most.
- To support the younger generation (under 25) to help them learn financial life skills and to grow during the difficult financial climate.
- Applications accepted between 1st February – 26th February 2021
- Decision meeting 7th April 2021
What can you apply for / use the grant for?
Project activity costs must relate to future service delivery, that is pro-active in delivering financial life skills, money management education and or debt avoidance. The applications that are most likely to be successful are those that ask for them to fund a specific activity cost rather than a general contribution to running costs or a much larger project.
Update as of July 2020 -we will now fund up to £500 per application essential IT equipment for project delivery.
Applications only providing debt or welfare benefits advice will not be considered.
Is there a deadline for applying?
The deadline for the building and developing resilience round is the 25 September 2020. Applications open 1 September 2020. Decisions will be emailed to you by the 24 November 2020.
Further information and 2021 / 2022 themes and application dates can be found here:
- Access the grant eligibility quiz here.
- Guidance notes
- See here for more information and the application process.
- Contact the operations manager to discuss your ideas first via firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will need to have specific governance in place such as a constitution, accounts, a safeguarding policy, and a well considered budget breakdown. If you require support with this, please contact Herjeet at email@example.com.