A free online course has been published by the Open University for those working, or interested in working, in the voluntary sector.
‘Introducing the Voluntary Sector‘ consists of eight modules, requiring a minimum of three hours commitment a week. The modules cover a range of topics:
- What is the voluntary sector?
- Values and beliefs
- Structure and functions of the voluntary sector
- Who funds voluntary and community organisations?
- Introducing stakeholders
- Power, engagement and empowerment
- The role of volunteering
- Next steps for working and learning in the voluntary sector
The sector currently faces funding challenges, so this free course represents a great training opportunity for staff, trustees and volunteers looking to develop their knowledge of the sector. Full details of the course can be accessed on the Open University webpage. A second course course, Working in the Voluntary Sector, will be available later this year.