If your charity or community group is looking for online affordable fundraising training over the next couple of months, the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) are running online workshops on the following fundraising topics:
19 August 2020: Case for Support Workshop
- articulate your purpose – your ‘why’ – and the difference that you make
- consider what your elevator pitch could be (to get you to that two-pager)
- start putting together a detailed toolkit, comprising a consistent and compelling narrative for your organisation.
8 September 2020: Key principles of fundraising in the voluntary sector
- understand what fundraising is, how it is regulated and key ethical considerations
- have considered the current context of fundraising and the implications of covid-19
- developed a full grasp of the income spectrum – where you currently get funding and where you might like to diversify your fundraising using different tools
- be clear on the key principles behind various fundraising techniques and identify examples of organisation’s using them well.
22 September 2020: Fundraising strategy and diversification post Covid-19
- feel confident analysing your funding portfolio
- fully grasp the income spectrum
- have identified which sources of funding are most suitable for your organisation
- have considered where you could diversify and how you could approach it
- have a clear understanding of the key components of a funding strategy.
30 September / 22 October / 26 October: Writing Funding Bids
- know how to prepare effectively for writing a proposal so you are able to respond to opportunities quickly and efficiently
- be confident deciding whether or not to bid
- be aware of how to write in an appropriate and effective style
- understand what makes a successful application or tender
For small organisations, NCVO have a reduced fee of £46 per workshop (which generally runs from 10am – 3pm with breaks). This is a fraction of their usual costs for in-person training days in London (normally £200). You will need to be an NCVO member to be eligible for the discount (membership is free for organisations with an annual income below £30,000 – more details here).
- Take a look at funding opportunities here. We’ll be adding to this regularly with more opportunities and identifying funding themes over the next month so do keep an eye on this page.
- Further training and recorded videos from other National organisations available here (paid and free offers)
- If you are a small community group, embedded in the community, and either providing Covid response services or championing the voice of local communities who have been greatly disadvantaged by the impacts of Covid, please contact Herjeet at firstname.lastname@example.org for funding support and any assistance you may need with organising your group, such as your constitution and other governance.