Come along to one of these fun, free sessions and build your skills while earning rewards!
Back on your Bike confidence booster
Need to brush up on your cycling skills? Nervous about cycling on roads? You’re not alone. This session will help brush up basic skills such as turning, braking and emergency braking, signalling and most importantly, looking behind. It includes an introduction to cycling on roads.
Urban Explorer – it’s a jungle!
Discover routes around Reading and develop your on-road cycling skills and safety! Ideal for anyone looking to increase their road skills & route navigation around Reading. You will learn more about road positioning, communicating with other road-users and try out various junction manoeuvres – while discovering new routes and locations.
Basic Bike Maintenance
Want to spend more time cycling and less money on repairs? This course is designed to cover what every cyclist needs to know about their you will learn how to maintaining your gears and brakes, an overview of the key components, how to do a safety check, repair punctures and change a tyre, cleaning and lubrication and other simple maintenance tips that will keep your bike running for longer.
5000 Betterpoints will be credited for each course attended (equivalent to £5). To earn Betterpoints please register at bikesmartreading.betterpoints.uk/programmes/97.
- Basic Bike Maintenance: Monday 20 March, 18.30-20.30, Reading Bike Kitchen
- Back on your Bike: Sunday 26 March, 13.00-15.00, Palmer Park
- Urban Explorer: Sunday 26 March, 15.00-17.00, Palmer Park
- Basic Bike Maintenance: Monday 10 April, 18.30-20.30, Venue TBC
- Back on your Bike: Tuesday 11 April, 13.00-15.00, Rivermead
- Urban Explorer: Tuesday 11 April, 15.00-17.00, Rivermead
- Basic Bike Maintenance: Saturday 22 April, 10.00-12.00, Venue TBC
- Back on your Bike: Saturday 22 April, 13.00-15.00, Palmer Park
- Urban Explorer: Saturday 22 April, 15.00-17.00, Palmer Park
To book a place or for more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Future courses will be scheduled every 2-4 weeks depending on demand.
What you need to know:
- You will need to bring a roadworthy bike, with working front and rear brakes
- For a free bike check please arrive 45 minutes ahead of the advertised start time
- Free Readybike hire is available for cycling sessions if needed – this must be booked in advance
- Helmets are recommended but not compulsory
- Urban Explorer takes place on quiet and busy roads
- Prior booking essential
- Participants must be 16 years or older.
These sessions are run by Avanti Cycling Instructors www.avanticycling.co.uk.