Brighter Berkshire describes the Berkshire Community coming together to raise awareness, reduce stigma and increase local opportunities for those with mental health challenges. Brighter Berkshire 2017 Year of Mental Health has just ended and here are some of the highlights.
- BBC Radio Berkshire hosted a monthly “Talking Heads” programme with different topics – anxiety, young people’s mental health, portrayal of mental health in the media….
- Encouraging people to talk about mental health in the workplace including the “Wear something Yellow” day in July
- Working in partnership with Berkshire Community Foundation which raised £200,000 for the Brighter Berkshire Fund. There have been over £600,000 worth of applications to this fund and grants will be awarded in March.
- Secondary School Song Writing Competition in December
- Art exhibition in Reading using art to communicate about mental health
- Regular bulletins to 2000 Twitter and600 Facebook followers
A full evaluation report will be published in March. Meanwhile the plans are to establish a Brighter Berkshire Community Interest Company to build on the achievements in 2017. If you are interested in being involved please email brighter.berkshire @gmail.com