We are delighted to announce the launch of a new online lottery to support local good causes
Tickets for Reading Community Lottery will cost £1, with 60p going directly to charities, voluntary organisations and community groups (compared to just 28p in the pound for the National Lottery). Players of the lottery can win a £25,000 jackpot, plus smaller prizes.
Local good causes will be able to have their own lottery page created, and 50p in every pound spent by players using their webpage will be retained by them. A further 10p in every pound will go into a general Reading Community Lottery good causes fund, with the remainder being put towards prizes, operating costs and VAT. Gatherwell, a lottery management company who have launched similar lotteries elsewhere, will run the scheme.
Find out more at the good causes launch
We’re now inviting local voluntary and community groups to attend the good causes launch. You will be able to hear all about the new lottery, how it works, and how your organisation can directly benefit from participating.
- The launch event will be at Thames Lido, Napier Road, Reading RG1 8FR, on Thursday 30 January, at 3.30pm.
There will be presentations about the lottery, refreshments, and plenty of chances to ask questions. The RVA team will be on hand to provide advice and guidance on what you have to do and next steps. You can sign up on the day and be one of the first local organisations to benefit from Reading Community Lottery.
RVA’s Chief Executive, Rachel Spencer, said:
Reading Community Lottery is all about helping local charities, voluntary sector and not-for-profit organisations, at a time when budgets are under increasing pressure. We’re really excited about this opportunity for local community groups to raise additional money, and the benefit which this will bring to Reading residents.
- If you would like to attend the launch event, please register via Eventbrite.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- The draw will be weekly with a jackpot of £25,000 for a matching sequence of six numbers. Other prizes are £2,000, £250, £25 or three free tickets. Players have a 50 to one chance of winning one of the prizes.
- Players who do not wish to support a specific cause can still take part, with 60p of their ticket price going into the general Reading Community Lottery Fund. The general fund will be distributed by a panel which includes representatives from local groups.
- The Reading Community Lottery website will go live in January, at the launch event. In the meantime, please send any questions to readingcommunitylottery@rva.
- Reading Community Lottery is run by Gatherwell, an External Lottery Manager, promoted by Reading Voluntary Action and supported by the One Reading partnership. It is a Small Society Lottery licensed by Reading Borough Council (No: LOT000220).