The Armed Forces Covenant Trust has a number of funding streams. This article relates to their Local Grants Programme. This is the final year (2019/2020) of the Local Grants Programme. Grants of up to £20K, to be spent over 12 months, are available for projects under two headings:
- Community integration: this means creating projects that create strong links between the Armed Forces community (current and former members and their families) and civilian communities, to overcome barriers to better integration, and improving perceptions, attitudes and understanding.
- Delivery of services: this means local projects which offer financial advice,
housing, mental and physical health, employability or social support for serving armed forces personnel, veterans, and their families.
Examples of previously funded projects include addressing mental and physical health issues for adults and children, through providing sports, arts, gardening and community events; welfare, housing and benefit advice services; mentoring and employability programmes. You don’t have to replicate these – they are interested to hear about your ideas.
Who can apply?
Applicants are expected to have experience and a track record of working with the Armed Forces community, as well as a good understanding of the issues they face. The application must be from either a registered charity that has incorporated status, a local authority, a school or other statutory organisation, a Community Interest Company or an armed forces unit with a UIN.
What they will fund
They will fund most of the things required for the project, such as salaries relating to project delivery, buying or hiring equipment, or minor improvements to land or buildings, although it is highly unlikely that they will fund projects with budgets that are dominated by capital costs, such as minibuses. They also do not fund core costs.
Applications are currently open and you can apply at any time before 2 December 2019.
- Applications submitted by 9 am on 11 March 2019 will be decided before the end of May 2019.
- Applications submitted by 9 am on 3 June 2019 will be decided before the end of August 2019
- Applications submitted by 9 am on 9 September 2019 will be decided before the end of November 2019.
- Applications submitted by 9 am on 2 December 2019 will be decided before the end of February 2020.
Once notified, successful applicants will have 12 months to deliver the project.