National Citizen Service (NCS) is a programme run for young people, designed to challenge them, help them develop life skills and meet new people. It involves a 4-day residential, followed by a 3-day non-residential programme of activities and then 4 days of social action, taking 2 weeks in total.
Who is eligible?
All NEET young people aged 16-17 (they must not turn 18 before they start the programme) and up to 25 for those with an Education, Health and Care Plan. They must not have done the NCS programme before.
When and where does it run?
- 11–24 October 2019: Reading, Bracknell, High Wycombe
- 18–31 October 2019 Reading, Bracknell, High Wycombe, Aylesbury, Newbury
- 26 October–7 November 2019: Reading, Bracknell, Aylesbury
What does the programme involve?
- Days 1-4: residential at Grosvenor Hall, Ashford, Kent. Range of activities including buggy building, scrap heap challenge, fencing, archery and bushcraft.
- Day 5: rest day.
- Days 6-9: non-residential at local venue which includes a range of team building and social development activities such as employability skills and enterprise challenges.
- Day 10: rest day.
- Days 11-14: social action project working with a local charity or community action group on a project of the group’s choice.
- Celebration event – evening celebration bringing together all the local teams.
How do I make a referral?
- Email email@example.com with contact details of the person to be referred and we will get in touch.
- The cost is £10.