The team at No5 Young People are deeply saddened and moved by the attack in Forbury Gardens on Saturday evening. They wanted to do something to help their community through this difficult time.
Alyson Brickley, Director at No5 said: ‘As the team at No5 Young People heard about the horrific attack in Forbury Gardens our thoughts immediately went to those directly affected and their families. Our deepest sympathies go to them.’
She went on to explain: ‘We also realise this touches our whole community in Reading and wanted to do what we can to ease the pain, worry and anxiety. We have therefore opened up our helpline to everybody who has been affected by this attack, directly or indirectly. You can speak in confidence to a trained counsellor and receive free support.’
‘It’s for our whole community, young and old. Perhaps you witnessed it, know one of the victims, had a friend who was in Forbury Gardens, was part of the protest earlier that day or part of the emergency response. It’s for anyone. Just text TALK followed by your first name to 07786 202430 to arrange a time to talk.’
How does it work?
- Text TALK followed by your first name to 07786 202430 to request a phone call from one of our trained counsellors.
- The support line will be available between 17:00 and 20:00, Monday – Friday.
- A counsellor will call you back to offer support – our hope will be to respond later the same day, but depending on demand it may be the following day.
- Calls will last up to 30 minutes.
- This service is not counselling, but an opportunity to get support from qualified counsellors and talk about how you’re feeling following the attack in Reading on Saturday 20 June.
- The helpline is not just for young people but for the whole community.
About No.5 Young People
No5 Young People charity, established in 1971, is based in central Reading and focuses on providing counselling, outreach, and preventative mental health services to young people aged 11-25 years, their parents/carers who live, work or study in the RG postcode. They also deliver professional courses for counsellors and mental health training in organisations. Read more on their website.