The Five Ways to Wellbeing are simple steps that can help you improve your wellbeing in every day life. The approach was developed by the New Economics Foundation, and is based on scientific research about how we can maintain good mental health and wellbeing.
Here are the Five Ways to Wellbeing
- Connect – feeling close to, and valued by, other people is a fundamental human need and one that contributes to functioning well in the world
- Be active – regular physical activity is associated with lower rates of depression and anxiety across all age groups
- Take notice – being aware of what is taking place in the present directly enhances your well-being
- Keep learning – continued learning through life enhances self-esteem and encourages social interaction
- Give – participation in social and community life increases wellbeing
Over the next couple of months, Reading Voluntary Action is arranging three Wellbeing Fairs to showcase a range of charities and community groups which help to improve wellbeing. The first is at Reading Central Library on 31st January. Find out more
In parallel, for the next five weeks we will tell you about some of the great things local voluntary and community groups are doing to help people connect, be active, take notice, keep learning and give.
Please contact Sarah Morland (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have a good news story you would like us to include.