Join the Christmas Toy Appeal promotion team
Marketing / PR volunteer needed for Reading Family Aid
Reading Family Aid organises a huge Toy Appeal in Reading with thousands of toys donated and then distributed to disadvantaged children in the Reading area who otherwise would have no presents at Christmas.
This role is to generate as much publicity as possible for our Toy Appeal through local press, radio and TV. Specifically:
- to think of ways and ideas for promoting the Appeal across the Reading and outlying districts.
- to work with the Reading Chronicle to try to ensure there are stories each week about the Toys and Teens Appeal in the main and mid-week Chronicle from mid-October to early December.
- to provide quotes from the charity to the Chronicle and other outlets on how the Appeal is going.
- to ensure that the details of the Donation Points and List of Items we need are accurately published each week.
- to contact other local newspapers, on-line local news sites, local community newsletters, local radio and perhaps TV to try to get as much publicity as possible for the Appeal.
- work with other committee members to attend photo shoots as requested.
You will be the public Face of the Appeal!
Reading and district.
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
How much time?
A few hours a week
What times and days of the week?
Mon-Fri daytimeMon EVETue EVEWed EVEThu EVEFri EVESat AMSat PMSat EVESun AMSun PMSun EVE
All of these times
Additional timing details
This role is to provide publicity for our Christmas Toy Appeal - sponsored by the Reading Chronicle through their Toys and Teens Appeal. The work starts with the Chronicle in early September and the Appeal will be launched in mid October and go on until early December. During this time you must be available to talk to the Chronicle, other local papers and magazines, local radio and television. This contact will be mainly during the working day but could also be in the evenings and weekends. It is difficult to say how much time and when - it is up to the papers/radio stations when they need input from you and up to you as to how much time and effort you put in in spreading the word!
Will suit someone like this:
Self organised/motivatedHappy to work soloPublic speakerNetworkerCommunicator
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
Description of support
We will explain the role and how it has worked in the past and provide help as needed through ad-hoc queries and weekly discussions.
Description of expenses
Any out of pocket expenses for travel, phone, etc.
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
26 August 2015