Providing friendship over the telephone to someone who has worked in the licensed trade.
As a Volunteer Telephone Befriender you will make calls to people on a regular basis. This role is extremely flexible and can fit in around work, family and other commitments.
The calls can be made from home or from our offices in Ascot if you prefer. The calls usually last about 30 minutes and the regularity of the calls can be agreed between the volunteer and the telephone friend. These calls are recorded in a summary report and sent to the volunteer manager. This takes about 30 minutes a month. Befrienders make regular contact with the volunteer manager giving a brief outline of calls and an update.
The aim of the role is to provide a friendly chat to the befriendee, helping to rebuild their confidence to reintegrate themselves back into their community.
The skills required are:
- Have an understanding of the issues faced by the elderly.
- Non-judgemental and sensitive approach.
- Ability to develop positive friendships with the person being befriended.
- Ability to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Good at summarising and noting down information in a report format.
- Computer literate (desirable).
- Understanding of working in the Licensed Drinks Trade (desirable).
What is on offer to Telephone Befrienders?
- Full training will be given.
- Regular follow up and support will be provided via the Volunteer Manager and team at Licensed Trade Charity.
- Any expenses incurred via telephone bills will be reimbursed.
- Being part of a team.
- Gaining valuable experience and building on your skills.
- Making new friends.
- Enhancing the lives of isolated members of the community.
This role is subject to an interview and DBS check. If you are interested, please call 01344 898 550.