Become a Champion to End Loneliness
Advocacy / Campaigning volunteers needed for Reading Voluntary Action (RVA)
Champions to end loneliness is a campaign to reduce loneliness and isolation in Reading.
By being part of the campaign, you can help in a range of way to help spread the word, encourage others to become befrienders, help set up new initiatives and at one off events.
The easiest way to become a champion, is to make an online pledge and join our mailing list here!
The role is flexible and could involve different things:
- Be a Champion in your place of work or study by putting up posters, organising a talk from befriending organisations (we’d get them on board, you would arrange a room and promote within your organisation) or helping to make changes in your workplace to ensure employees (especially those new to Reading) are less lonely.
- Host stall(s) at community events to promote opportunities to volunteer as befrienders / become champions.
- Promote befriending in your neighbourhood and encourage increased neighbourliness through local events and looking out for each other.
- Deliver flyers in your neighbourhood to let people know about the impact of loneliness locally and what they can do to make a difference.
- Other activities within your place of work, study or other meeting place that you / we identify could help reduce loneliness.
Join the mailing list to get updates on the campaign and find out about future workshops.
The first step is to come along to a workshop and join the Champions to end loneliness mailing list where you will find out about different ways you can get involved in reducing loneliness in Reading. To join the mailing list, email email@example.com.
You can also make an online pledge to end loneliness here
We will run regular workshops for Champions, to come together, discuss how you can get involved, find out what you are doing, and what opportunities are available.
The role can take place from home, where you work, study, socialise or other places you frequent.
Car parking for the volunteer?
Secure bicycle parking?
Near public transport?
How much time?
A few hours a month
What times and days of the week?
Mon AMMon PMMon EVETue AMTue PMTue EVEWed AMWed PMWed EVEThu AMThu PMThu EVEFri AMFri PMFri EVESat AMSat PMSat EVESun AMSun PMSun EVE
Any of these times
Additional timing details
Volunteering can take place at a time that suits you and can be a flexible commitment from a few hours between now and October, to a few hours every week.
Advocacy / Campaigning
Will suit someone like this:
Self organised/motivatedHappy to work soloInventiveNetworkerSociableCommunicatorHas a few hours to spare
Post suitable for supported volunteering?
There will be a short induction training session so Champions understand more about what the need is around loneliness in Reading, what different befriending organisations do, the role of the Champions, to meet other Champions and to share ideas about how to be an effective Champion.
Description of support
Volunteers will be part of a team, supported by RVA, receiving regular group emails as well as group and one-to-on meetings.
Description of expenses
Transport costs and lunch if volunteering for a full day.
Will I need my own transportation?
Will the volunteer be CRB or DBS checked?
Are references required?
Will there be an interview?
Are they properly insured?
Do they need a specific gender?
How many volunteers needed?
Opportunity added on
11 May 2017